1. Aloe Vera Can heal wounds and soothe skin Acts as moisturizer Treats Acne Has vitamins, minerals, enzymes, sugars, anthraquinones or phenolic compounds, lignin, saponins, sterols, amino acids and salicylic acid that are generally good for health. Soothes Periodontal disease Aids in digestion 2. Camomile Helps in sleeplessness and anxiety Relieves gastrointestinal conditions such as […]
I’ve been meaning to share this picture of the HUG (the Healing Urban Garden) designed by Rae Wilkinson for the Hampton Court Flower Show. The garden looks much more open viewed from the front, but from this angle, it’s easier to see the style of the planting, which is densely packed and surprisingly linear. That’s the part of […]
What did American cattlemen use to fence cattle before the invention of barbed wire? by Tom Eisenman
Answer by Tom Eisenman:
Nothing. Before the invention of barbed wire it was too expensive to fence cattle in the American west. If you haven’t visited the region you might not realize how vast the region is. It is also dry so it takes a lot of land to raise cattle on the relatively sparse grass. At this time the range was open, unfenced and not owned by anyone.
Cattle are herd animals. They naturally stick together in a group. The cowboys would move them to new grass by following them on horseback. When the herd tended to go in a direction that wasn’t where the cowboys wanted them they’d ride ahead and turn the herd. When the cattle were mature they would drive them to a town with stockyards and sell them.
Looking for a easy way to hang farm gates ?
- Save Time– It only takes 10 minutes to hang a farm gate.
- Save Money-When compared to hiring a welder for about $50 per hour, not too mention the cost of drill bits needed for the project. For the cost of our hinges it will run $30 for one pair and that is our most expensive.
- No Special Skills or Tools needed– Do it yourself. EZ Hinge Farm Gate installs with a 9 /16″ end wrench or socket and a crescent wrench.
- Portable– Installs in the most remote areas where you could never get a welder or generator. EZ Hinge Farm Gate can be taken with you anywhere you to. Need to setup a portable corral no problem.
- Reusable – If your fencing needs to be changed, remove EZ Hinge Farm Gate and reuse them at a new location.
- Hired Welder Issues- Liability, scheduling, hiring problems, delays, and quality issues are all the possibilities of contractor.
- No Delays– Due to burn bans or field conditions that do not allow a welder to be used. If you are waiting on a welder for any reason your fence construction is delayed.
- Comes in 4 different sizes – 2″ 2 1/2 ” 3″ and 3 1/2″ O.D (outside diameter)
Over the years countless people have contacted me with a dreamy look in their eyes. “We are moving to 5 acres and plan to live off the land. I am so ready to get back to a simple life!” I once held this dreamy eyed look. The thought of a simple life, carrying my milk […]
By Nan Smith | 12 April 2017 Good management includes reasonably strict hygiene practices in poultry houses. The robust virus that causes Newcastle disease can survive for up to 12 months in a chicken house if hygiene procedures are sloppy.: Newcastle disease (NCD) is feared world-wide for its ability to cause huge losses in poultry businesses, right from […]
A brief history of the invention of barbed wire, the con-man who sold it, and the cowboys who cut it down.
I challenge you to talk to somebody about agriculture today. Learn what they believe about the foods they are eating. Take the opportunity that is right in front of you to educate somebody about the safe, healthy, and wholesome foods that farmers and ranchers across the nation are providing for our populous. If we want farms and ranches to continue to thrive, we need to spread a positive rhetoric about the industry we are passionate about.
Canada’s food watchdog has found trace amounts of the widely-used and controversial herbicide in roughly 30 per cent of food products it tested.
Estimated Costs for Livestock Fencing William Edwards American Cattleman Fencing costs are one of the most expensive aspects of livestock grazing. The type of fence constructed greatly impacts the cost per foot, total cost, and annual ownership cost. In addition, the shape of the paddocks affects the amount of materials needed and labor required for […]